Labels

tasting notes (39) brewing (35) beer review (26) yeast (16) hops (12) breweries (10) Beer Geek Night (9) malt (6) beer names (5) brewing gear (4) festival (2) MtG (1) games (1) macro (1)

zaterdag 1 februari 2014

Brewz aplenty!

Right!
Been a long time since I updated this blog so here goes a quickie.

I've a couple of brews awaiting sampling in the cellar. January was NoSugarNoBooze month for yours truly, and with that out of the way, the time to take some samples is, well, now.

Or thereabouts.

Expect some notes on this year's misstimed Kagami Biraki brew, which is a different version of that Lawnmower Amarillo Inferno I brewed last year. Think low-ABV hefeweizen with a shitload of hops. When I tried one on the day of the dojo's New Year's celebration, it was resiny like a freshly chopped pine log, and utterly undrinkable, but I've high hopes for this one.

Like so, with a hint of something beery.

That Christmas pineapple barley wine I reckoned wouldn't be ready before the last withered Christmas decorations have dropped from doorposts by themselves? I'm really curious how well that's been behaving down in the cellar. More news sometime this week, I think.

And 2014 will bring lots of brewing activity. I've about 4 different brews scheduled for the next few months, including a wicked imperial stout with some wood'n'booze, and some improved, pimped-out-chromed-out versions of prior attempts at brewing. Oooh yeah I'm in the mood for some brews.

Stocked up on brewing supplies.

But that's not all! Last year, I acquired (read stole) some wild hops from a neighbouring garden by digging up a piece of rhizome and planting it in our own front yard. While the plant did take, and actually grew about 10 feet or so, no cones were produced. And look what the exceptionally mellow January weather is doing to it now:

Two fresh new sprouts!

Which reminded me of something I still had lying around on my shelf: a gift from the guys at Meantime in the form of Hops in a Box!
About time I got those prepped for their first year in Continental soil.

But first: a good long soak.
So yay! Feeling pretty stoked about all this brewing activity. Expect more regular updates in the future. I promise! (sort of).

Until then,

Greetz

Jo

Geen opmerkingen: