Labels

tasting notes (39) brewing (35) beer review (26) yeast (16) hops (12) breweries (10) Beer Geek Night (9) malt (6) beer names (5) brewing gear (4) festival (2) MtG (1) games (1) macro (1)

vrijdag 22 februari 2013

Brewsflash: Brew#3 goes PSHT!

Rejoice! Jubilate! Be jolly and make merry! Brew#3 successfully spent the past five days carbonating in the hot room, and now looks a little something like this:

That's one happy brew


Carbonation looks rougher than it is in this picture, and those bubbles covering the inside of the glass are all gone now, two minute after pouring.
Lift this baby to the light to inspect color and degree of clearness:

No Instagram was harmed in the making of this picture
No, a clear brew is is not. Nor did I expect it to: my brewing skills have many different angles of possible improvement to them yet, and wort filtering, as well as many other clarification techniques, remain as yet untried. So I don't fret, even if, when all "Whoohoo I did great" sentiments are ruthlessly disposed of, I am not at all pleased with the color and overall presentation of this beer. Improvements are in order.

Ahhhh but the nose is a lot better. Cascade dry-hopping did wonders in terms of inviting the unwary drinker. Not yet at the point where the nose is luring me in, but we're getting there. And waaaay in the back, I can almost smell the Pacific Jade, which is now distant enough to give a subtle bubblegummy tease to the nose. Yes, this is what I had in mind. One out of two so far.

Mouthfeel is decent, on the watery side. The US-05 yeast is notably present, despite it being a held-back and inobtrusive fellow. Hops provide a nice, clean bitterness, as well as fruity-earthy flavours, which nicely complement the toastiness of the Münich malt. Almost in IPA-style, the initial bitterness and the hop flavours melt into a malty sweetness, which then sort of flows outwards again in a nice, lingering bitter aftertaste. Oh yes, I think this is very drinkable, and spot on to what I had in mind where taste and flavours are concerned.

Two out of three is quite okay for a third go: I think I'm getting the hang of the basics here. Brew#3 was supposed to be a stronger, heavier and more balanced spin on Kohaku (which was #2). As the Constant Reader may remember, I am aware of the many errors I made during the brewing of #3 which have hindered it in becoming all I wanted, but the main flaw that irked  me about Kohaku has been eliminated: that gap between the toasty malt and the hop flavours has disappeared. Yes, I wanted it to be stronger, but I know where I screwed up. Yes, I wanted it to be fuller bodied, but again, I know where I goofed.

What I'm left with is a beer I do not at all mind pouring myself another one of. A beer I can dig up out of the basement and pour for friends and guests. But most importantly, a beer which will serve as a basis for some proper experimenting. Do I need that bit of of Fuggles halfway through the boil? Is US-05 really what I want in this? Can I ditch those unmalted flakes or are they doing something for this beer? How do I get the color and clarity to a level which doesn't inspire me to call this one "Pond Muck"?

Seriously, you've no idea what a kickass hobby this homebrewing thing is. :)

So there you have it. Brew#3 shall henceforth be named Pond Muck.

"Veyversleyck" in Olde Dutch

May it prove to be a friendly companion and a worthy ancestor to future brews.

Greetz

Jo

Geen opmerkingen: